Using Your Degree
Women are now the fastest-growing segment of new business owners, and many large organizations value an entrepreneurial spirit in their employees, especially those who manage or work in their business departments.
St. Kate's alumnae include:
- Carrie Maurer, president, City Cottages, a new-home construction firm.
- Stacey Rammer, senior account executive at Weber Shandwick.
- Jessica Garceau, merchandise presentation business analyst at Target.
- Patricia Mancini, works for her family business, Mancini's Char House and Lounge in St. Paul.
- Carolyn and Julie Maset, owners of Maid for a Day.
Many companies make a special effort to recruit St. Kate's students for full-time employment or internships because they want exceptional women leaders. These companies include:
- General Mills
At St. Kate's, we offer valuable job connections, networking opportunities and career advice through our:
- Career Development Office
- Alumnae Career Transition and Networking Group
- Summer Leadership Seminars
- Career Opportunities Fair — the largest among private colleges in Minnesota
- St. Catherine Forum on Women in Leadership — the oldest and most respected in the region. Past presenters include Sherron Watkins, former Enron vice president, and Jackie Joyner Kersee, Olympic athlete.
— Mary U. Henderson, associate professor of business administration
Your degree in small business/entrepreneurship from St. Kate's will open doors for graduate work across the nation in various fields, including business administration, law, fashion merchandising, healthcare and education.
Taking charge of your future
The desire for independence is the number one reason women cite when asked why they go into business for themselves, reports the Center for Women's Business Research (2007).
- Women own 10 million firms in the United States that employ more than 13 million people and generate nearly $2 trillion in sales.
- One in five firms with revenue of $1 million or more is woman-owned.
- Nearly two million are majority-owned by women of color.