Talk with a Graduate Admissions Counselor
Graduate Admission Counselor
Complete the following steps to apply to the Master of Physician Assistant Studies program.
The application deadline is September 1 for Fall enrollment. Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete the application process at least one month prior to the deadline.
Please note that CASPA needs 3-4 weeks to complete their verification process before releasing your completed application to St. Catherine University.
Applications for the MPAS program are submitted through the Physician Assistant Centralized Application Service (CASPA). The application cycle is now open for the entry-level professional physician assistant program starting in Fall 2014. The following application materials must be submitted directly to CASPA: transcripts, GRE scores, and two recommendations. At least one recommendation should be from a healthcare provider; the other can be from a professor or employer. Click here to access the CASPA application materials and instructions.
Prepare a personal essay that demonstrates advanced written communication skills and clarifies your purpose in pursuing a graduate degree as a physician assistant. Do not exceed five typed, double-spaced pages. Handwritten essays will not be accepted. Please address the following topics:
- What experiences and personal characteristics have allowed you to develop the skills necessary to be successful in PA school and to become an effective PA?
- Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, or risk that you have taken and its impact on you and your desire to become a PA.
- Describe what you have learned from the variety of health, wellness or patient-centered encounters you have observed or participated in and how this has shaped or impacted your interest in pursuing education toward being a PA.
- How has your background and experience prepared you to interact effectively with individuals who are different from you in their social, cultural, or economic perspectives?
- Describe the roles you have held since graduating from high school (outside of college classroom activities) including leadership, service, jobs and responsibilities, athletics, community activities, family, etc.
If you'd like to be considered for our Primary Care Scholarship, please also address the following question:
- What has motivated your desire to pursue primary care practice? Describe how you plan to make your goal of primary care practice a reality.
Supplemental essays should be submitted via email as attached documents to the Office of Graduate Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name at the top of your statement, and "MPAS Supplemental Essay" in the email's subject line.
Each application that has been completed, verified by CASPA and received by St. Catherine University by the deadline will be considered. Selected qualified applicants will be contacted for a personal interview in October with the MPAS Admission Committee, which evaluates the applicant's background, qualifications and potential. Letters of decision will be mailed in December. Fulfillment of the MPAS admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. No credentials will be returned to the applicant.